Home > Forums > Advice (CD / Trans)

Society and transgender

Get full access to all site features Register Now!

Hi everyone. Just wondering how do feel or what are your thoughts on transgender people and how todays society treats or reacts to people who are transgender or whoever they chose to be or identify. Do you think that being transgender is still a problem in today's society and that a majority of people have issues around transgender. Do you think that the labels used to describe transgender people is wrong. What is it that makes you scared of coming out or even stepping out dressed or telling people that your a transgender person. A real live human being who is trying to deal with and trying to understand who one's own self is. Is the thought of being harassed in public that scares you. I would love to hear your thoughts and views on this and how it makes you feel. How has it been for you to open up about it or do you still keep it hidden inside and away. Thanks.

Well I'm open about who I am and am very definitely out and about. As far as my experience goes,I've found that society reacts to you how you react to them,I always try to be positive happy and friendly,people tend to respond the same way......unfortunately as in any society you get one or two neanderthals,but I tend just to smile at them and wend my merry way.
It took a few years to pluck up the courage to venture out into the wide world (mainly 'cos of mostly unfounded fear..and a certain lack of confidence),but after attending Sparkle for a couple of years I made the decision to throw caution to the winds and get out there...and I've never looked back since

I have found that in order to understand something people first have to label it, like it gives them power over it. I hate being labelled and placed in a specific category and just want to be me and get on with my life. Whilst not scared in getting out and about i do wish people would just get on with their own business and not interfere in others.
I suppose the labels are there for medical diagnosis and ongoing treatments but on the whole im just me, open and honest and really dont want to be labelled. Like to live my life the way i want to and content to let everyone else do the same.